Monday, July 19, 2010

Bread Pudding (Pioneer Recipe)

On Saturday, we had the missionaries over for dinner, and I decided to make some rolls to go along with our dinner. I had some bread mix that has been sitting in my pantry forever, which I felt really needed to be used up. They didn't turn out very well, but luckily, even not-very-good bread tastes okay if it's fresh, and missionaries don't have very discriminating tastes.

Yesterday, I looked at that leftover bread (which was now hard-as-a-rock and not-at-all-good), and I thought about bread pudding. I pulled out a couple of cookbooks and chose a recipe for which I had all the ingredients. It billed itself as a pioneer recipe. Kevin was dubious. "One-and-a-half cups of milk and only a half cup of bread crumbs? How is that going to work? And that sauce? Three cups of water with with a cup of sugar? It sounds like Kool-Aid!"

I shrugged my shoulders and continued making my pudding. Who knows? It might turn out okay.

When it came out of the oven, it looked like runny oatmeal. And it tasted like stale bread. With sugar water poured over the top.

Kevin just shook his head and said, "I feel sorry for the pioneers."

4 comments:

lindaharper said...

It sounds like you started out with what they called hard tack. It was a floury rock that they used to put in their pockets to eat as they traveled. I made them for seminary and they are like bread rocks! I guess they would soak the juice out of their beans to eat it!

Sarah said...

Sounds delicious. Did you make your kids eat it??

Laura said...

I think Mormons just call bad recipes "Pioneer". I made Pioneer Waffles this morning.

Krissy said...

He he... That's funny... :)