Monday, August 18, 2008

1st Day of School. . . And a Hurricane

So today was the first day of school for Matthew and Maggie. Tomorrow is Andrew's first day of preschool. Except, now there's a hurricane out in the gulf and we are under a tropical storm warning. So, we probably won't have school tomorrow. So sad. I was looking forward to having no children for 3 hours. I wouldn't know what to do with myself, so it's probably just as well. This will give me 2 more days to think about what I could do for 3 hours all by myself.

Last night we filled out all of the mandatory paperwork for Maggie. She had to sign a few documents that were a little funny for a second grader. One of them boiled down to her promising not to hit a teacher, bring a gun to school or sell drugs or alcohol. Her reply was, "How could I do that? I don't even have a stand!" You know, like a lemonade stand. She has been signing these forms since she was in kindergarten, but this is the first year she actually knew what they were for.

I was not totally awake when the kids went to school this morning, so I didn't get a picture of them. But here's a picture of my house with hurricane shutters instead. This picture is from 2004. I have no intention of lugging those things out for a tropical storm. Right before a big storm hits, it's invariably bright and sunny and hot and 90% humidity. And the corrugated metal shutters are heavy and they reflect heat back at you. I thought I was going to get heat stroke the last time we put these up. Isn't hurricane season exciting?


1 comment:

FWmom said...

Hi Bonnie!!!
I found your blog- love it!!!
-ronnie (sarahs old neighbor)