We are going a little stir crazy with everyone at home, though. Our phone and internet were down for about 18 hours (the power stayed on at least). I never realized how much I rely on the internet to divert me. Also, we can't just send the kids outside when they start to get too crazy. Earlier this afternoon, we put their swimsuits on and let them play in the street for a few minutes (until I started worrying about snakes and alligators and such). Maggie decided to get the mail. Notice the knee deep water. Wait a minute, did the mailman actually venture out into this? Apparently he did yesterday. Our mail was a little soggy, especially after Maggie dropped some of it. But it's ok, it was all junk mail.
A couple of months ago, we bought a NOAA weather radio, which has been great (at least if you don't mind being awakened at 2 am to be told it's still raining). The highlight of the day yesterday was listening to tornado warnings going off every half-hour. Only one was for our immediate area, so for that half-hour we sat in the hallway with all our quilts and played Old Maid. We're not on the dangerous side of the storm anymore, so at least we don't really have to worry about tornadoes today. The kids get out of school again tomorrow. So much for the first week of school.
1 comment:
I've been wondering how things are going out there. I read in the newspaper yesterday that Melbourne had already gotten 22 inches of rain and is scheduled to get more. I hope that things are still going alright for you and all of my friends out there. I guess it is Friday now and you wrote on Wednesday, so you have a lot more water now probably.
Our prayers are with you and all of our friends in the area. I can't say that I miss all that excitement (and frustration)though. I hope you are all well.
Post a Comment